I’ve been learning Japanese. I’m not particularly good at it, I really need to do some for an hour every day but I’m just not that committed! I’ve just finished Hiragana but there are still a few annoying characters I get confused about! In particular ne (ね) re (れ) and wa (わ) not to mention sa (さ) and Chi (ち)!
A very nice Japanese friend of my mums has lent me some japanese books! Aimed at 7-12 year olds. They are hard! But I whenever I learn languages I always fall down on vocab so without further ado here is my first list of vocab to learn!
- おはよう ございます (ohayou gozaimasu) – Good Morning.
- Literally Means ‘It is early’, so best used before 10am else you’ll have people wondering what sort of time you get up at!
- こんにちは (konichiwa) – Good Afternoon
- Used in the daytime after 10 but before 6.
- Not sure why its pronounced wa and not ha, but i’m sure I’ll get onto that when i’ve learnt more!)
- こんばんは (konbanwa) – Good Evening
- Used after 6 until around 3-4 am when it starts to be おはよう ございます again!
- おやすみなさい (oyasuminasai) – Good Night
- どうもありがとうございます (doumo arigatou gozaumasu) – Thank you very much
- どういたしまして (dou itashimeshite) – You’re welcome
- はじめまして (hajimemashite) – Nice to meet you (when first meeting someone)
- Kind of means “we start our relationship”.
- どうぞよろしく (douzo yoroshiku) – Nice to meet you
- Kind of means “please be nice to me.” or “pleased to meet you”
- 〜です (-desu) – I’m -
- おじぎ (ojigi) – Bow
- おなまえ (onamae) – (your) name
- おなまえ は なん です か。(onamae wa nan desu ka?) – What is your name?
- おげんき です か。(ogenki desu ka?) – How are you?
- げんき です か (genki desu ka) – I’m well
- はい (hai) – Yes
- いいえ (iie) – No
- にほん (nihon) – Japan
- 〜じん (-jin) – A person from
- にほんじん (nihonjin) – Japanese person
Its all very exciting, i’m just about to start Katakana so I can write english words as japanese, like カレーライス which apparently means curry rice. (ku-re-i ra-i-su – it takes a lot of imagination!!